Oh yum! That is what I think when I think of these delicious treats. If you are trying to shed pounds by eating Paleo, this would be a rare treat. My husband loves him some dark chocolate, the darker the better. He eats this gone in a day if I don’t make enough. Poor guy feels like this is his only treat. Everyone I have made it for LOVES it and wants me to make them some. This is so easy, so quick and something great that will keep in the freezer for those occasional, “I just want something sweet” moments.
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Unrefined
- 3 oz of dark chocolate, 85% or higher
- 2 oz of dark chocolate, 60-70%.
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- parchment paper
- Break the chocolate pieces up and put on a double boiler. (Get a big pot about 1/2 full of water and bring to a boil. Put another non-melting bowl over the top of the boiling pot so it will be heated with the steam. Make sure it is a bit bigger than the pot below. Put the chocolate in the top bowl.)
- Use a wooden spoon and stir often as the chocolate melts. I like to put the heat on high to get the water boiling, then put it down to medium/medium low so the chocolate doesn’t burn. It can burn very easily.
- After the chocolate is melted, remove from heat and add in the coconut oil and stir. Then add in the almonds and coconut flakes and stir. You can add less or more of either or switch them out for pecans, walnuts, etc.
- Have a freezer safe pan lined with parchment paper and gently pour the mixture into the pan. You don’t want it too thick or it will be hard to cut into pieces so if need be, use two pans.
- Place in the freezer for 15-25 minutes. Remove and slice into bite-size pieces. Put back in the freezer and enjoy as you wish.
You can bring these out after dinner but if left out for too long, they will melt back into your original form and you will have to re-freeze (take my word for it). These can be made so many ways to your taste. We love lots of coconut because we love Almond Joy candy bars. These are a must try. You can experiment with more dark dark chocolate to be more Paleo friendly but at first, having the lesser % helps with taste till you get used to super dark.